Right now I’m listening to a song that I recorded yesterday.
It’s really rough and still needs a lot of work, but it does resemble a song.
It’s a song that at the moment I’m feeling happy about as it’s been a fair number of months since I last recorded something.
There’s a number of reasons why, the largest being procrastination (of course).
There’s also been a lot of study that has gotten in the way, but such is study.
Over the last many months there have been the occasional… occasion… where I’ve pulled out the guitar and started playing around, coming up with something that I think would work, recorded the idea and then not returned to the idea.
I don’t know if I was in a funk, but I do know that I wasn’t working on music aside from the occasional idea and practise.
What got me to record a whole song was challenging one of my work colleagues to have something recorded by Thursday. It didn’t have to be good or bad. It just had to be something that was music.
We had from Wednesday to Yesterday. A little under two days as we could only start once we were home.
Wait. It was Tuesday. The challenge started on Tuesday.
A little over two days. I think.
Suffice to say it had to be done by yesterday.
As soon as I got home from work on Wednesday I started working on something that I had thought about doing a while ago. There was no melodic idea beyond the introduction (which, unsurprisingly I could not replicate how I thought it would turn out) and ended up with something.
Aside from a brief break to go see Ewe’s stage show, I spent most of yesterday turning what I had into a song.
From the initial idea I recorded the parts that sounded as though they were the song (as there was a lot of faffing about) and, letting the music express itself rather than dictate.
Once I had the parts I slowly worked them together throughout the day, building the drums and the bass after each section which ended up changing the song further from what I originally conceived.
I did have some idea of what I was hoping for once I began recording and some of that really came through, but even so it moved far away from how I thought it was going to sound at the start of the day.
Even near the end of just the guitar there was still work on how it would all come together.
I ended up with something that brought me back to the desire to play as much as I can, but it was not a fun process.
When the challenge started I came up with another idea that I will begin working on very soon. Whilst working on the song yesterday, I also came up with a third that I am hoping to also soon start working upon.
The time it took to write five-hundred words: 10:23:15
Slow. Much slower than other recent posts.
I’m just glad to be working on music once more.
Written at home.